Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Paleo Ground Turkey(or chicken or grassfed beef) Spaghetti and Fried Almond Flour Bread



Paleo Ground Turkey Spaghetti

If you’re in a bit of a rush and need a quick “throw it together” recipe, this is one to remember. 

I try to keep a jar or two of organic, all natural spaghetti sauce on hand just in case. 

It takes about 30-45 minutes to have this on the table.








Ground Turkey Spaghetti

One pound ground turkey(or chicken or grass fed beef)
One onion, chopped
Two spiral cut squash(I used one yellow and one zucchini)
One jar organic, all natural spaghetti sauce
Olive oil(or coconut)

Brown your ground turkey and onions in just enough oil to coat bottom of skillet. Add the spaghetti sauce, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the meat absorbs the flavor of the sauce. While the meat is simmering, spiral your squash.* (See below) Add your spiraled squash, bring back to a boil and then reduce heat again and simmer for 10 minutes. You can literally bypass this step if you like your squash more crunchy. It’s perfectly fine totally uncooked, just firmer. I like it both ways, but you get a bit more flavor by cooking it a few minutes and you don’t have the raw squash texture.


*Have I told you lately how much I love my spiral slicer?



Well, darlin’ I’m telling you now! (and if you’re not a Country Music person, you have no idea what that is about.)

This little jewel is worth its weight in gold. It makes spaghetti out of a zucchini! Literally. It does other things too and you can find it  right here: Paderno Spiral Slicer

Fried Almond Flour Bread

I discovered this by accident one day while trying to come up with a substitute for Hot Water Cornbread.

(silly me)

If you’re not from the South, you likely have no idea what that is about either, but it’s a staple at most meals that involve turnip, collard or mustard greens. 

If you have no idea what those are about, then you have my deepest sympathies.

I decided there was really no substitute for real Hot Water Cornbread, so I just came up with Fried Almond Flour Bread, which is really quite tasty on its own merits.

Fried Almond Flour Bread

2 cups almond flour
½ cup Tapioca flour
2 TBLS coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
Dash of sea salt
1 TBLS pure honey(optional) I like sweet corn bread.
1 egg(if you can’t have the egg, omit and increase the tapioca flour to one cup)
Water
Oil to fry in(I use about one inch of oil in a small iron skillet) 

You can easily deep fry these if you prefer. Watch the temperature of your oil, the almond flour tends to brown quickly.

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. Add honey and egg and mix. I use an egg and less tapioca flour because I don’t care for the spongy texture that tapioca flour gives.

Add water. 

I confess….I didn't measure. I've been cooking so long, I just go by the thickness of the batter. I sincerely apologize. Next time I make this, I’ll measure and update. I would guess that it was somewhere between ½ and one cup, so start with ½ and go from there.

NOTE: when using coconut flour, always, always let your batter sit for about five minutes for the coconut flour to absorb the liquid. Your batter will thicken as it sits.

Here’s what you’re looking for with the water, you want the batter thick enough to drop by spoon or if you like, make it a bit thicker and pat it in your hand.  I sort of "push them out of the spoon drop them", if you know what I mean.

Fry until brown and hide some because if you don’t, your husband will eat them all and you’ll have none for later.

Amen.


Blessings from Patti’s Place to your place!


1 comment:

  1. Race Tech Titanium
    The RaceTech titanium allows you titanium mountain bikes to drive off your own course, to the maximum speed titanium blue ps4 controller on the where is titanium found track. micro hair trimmer We are looking for a complete range titanium wedding band of race cars for sale.

    ReplyDelete