Friday, June 27, 2014

Paleo Butternut Squash and Egg Scramble




They say that “necessity is the mother of invention.”

The necessity in this situation was the rather large bowl of squash that was beginning to pile up on my kitchen table.

Not to mention the constant supply of fresh eggs the girls keep us supplied with. Sometimes they pile up too.

The main necessity was that I was hungry and needed breakfast and...

THERE WAS NO BACON!



It was time for a meeting of necessity and invention, not to mention hunger.

Let me just say here, this is what I love about eating Paleo or just fresh and natural, what ever you want to label it. You just look at what you have and figure something out and it is almost always an amazing simple and healthy natural dish.

So, I invented a squash and egg scramble, or at least I think I did, I've never seen a recipe for one, so it's a new invention in my kitchen at least.



This actually turned out to be quite delicious.


This was a one person dish, you can easily multiply.


Ingredients


One cup diced firm squash such as Butternut or Patty Pan(seeds removed)
Three eggs, whisked
½ TBS pasture butter or ghee
Seasoning of choice(I just used sea salt and black pepper)
Diced onions or bell peppers(optional)

Instructions


Dice squash and set aside.

I used a butternut squash because they have more flavor than yellow or zucchini and they are also firmer. I didn’t want a smushy mess. I also used the end where there are no seeds, you can use the entire squash, just remove the seeds. Season with desired seasoning.




Whisk eggs and set aside with squash.



In a small skillet, on high heat, melt butter. I always use cast iron or stainless steel to cook in.


Stir in diced squash and sauté for 3-5 minutes until partially soft(we don’t want smush, remember.) Cooking time will depend on how small you dice your squash. If you add onions and peppers, add with the squash.



Reduce heat to low and add eggs, stirring into squash. Scramble for a few seconds just to mix(see note in following paragraph)



Turn heat off and let eggs finish cooking with their own internal heat and heat from the squash. This is something I learned back in the olden days in Home Economics class. Never cook your scrambled eggs until done, they hold heat and will continue to cook after you remove from the heat and then they’ll be overcooked. Always remove from heat a little before they’re done and they’ll be perfect. Since you’re adding the eggs to the squash that is already very hot, the eggs cook almost as soon as you add them.

Garnish this with fresh tomatoes and you have a first class breakfast that’s straight from your own homestead. 

It’s a great feeling.



Blessings from Patti’s Place to your place.








1 comment:

  1. You have really selected the suitable topic; this is one of my favorite blogs.Education

    ReplyDelete