Thursday, June 13, 2013


UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

HOMEMADE ESSENTIAL OIL DEODORANT UPDATE!


In my original deodorant blog, I used Hawaiian Sandalwood in my recipe, but I've decided that it doesn't work for me.

In my original homemade deodorant, I had used White Fir because I didn't have Sandalwood. I didn't actually have Sandalwood for the second batch, so I used Hawaiian Sandalwood. Since posting the blog, I've decided I don't like the Hawaiian Sandalwood as much as the White Fir in my deodorant. Sandalwood is recommended for deodorant, but obviously, the two Sandalwoods don't have the same properties, because I ended up smelling like bleach..ewww. So, I've updated my deodorant back to my original recipe and added 30 drops of White Fir. If you have Sandalwood, you might give it a try and see if it works for you. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the original blog with all the information, just adjust the recipe if you're not satisfied.

Since I'm almost to the bottom of the bottle, I decided it was time to tell you about my favorite homemade deodorant. Once again, I have to thank Rebecca over at Camp Wander for her original recipe. She's the blogger queen! Seriously....if you look closely, you might see the tiara on her head!


I know that some don't care for the large 1 oz roller bottles, but I love mine. I've had a problem with some of the roller balls falling out of my smaller bottles, but I'm sure that could happen with any size.  What I do is give mine a gentle shake and keep the bottle as upright as possible, because it comes out a bit too generously at times. There are three sizes of roller bottles, if you're confused about these, here's a handy dandy reference picture from Aroma Tools.



Meanwhile, back to the recipe....

For my large 1 oz roller bottle I use:

30 drops Frankincense
30 drops Melaleuca
30 drops Lavender
30 drops Hawaiian Sandalwood/Sandalwood or White Fir
Top off the bottle with FCO or Witch Hazel or a combination of both, which is what I do, I use about three parts WH to one part FCO, but that's just the way I like it.

I have three different brands and scents of Witch Hazel here....



Thayers Rose Scented, Humphries Lilac Scented and The Homestead Company with Lavender and Roman Chamomile



I have to say that the Thayer brand rose scented is by far the best smelling of the bunch. It actually smells like roses. All three of mine are alcohol free and I'm using the rose scented this time. If you have the kind WITH alcohol, it won't hurt to use it(unless you've just shaved, then it actually does hurt for a few seconds.) Truthfully, if you have a problem with body odor, you might think about using the alcohol based. The reason for this is that the alcohol kills the bacteria that cause body odor so you get a little extra punch there. I know this because several years ago in my pre-EO life, I searched and searched for a remedy for my husband's "BO in the work shirts" problem. I ran across a very simple yet very effective alternative to deodorant, simply cotton balls soaked in alcohol. It worked wonders.


My finished product....



Read Jill Samter's article How I Say NO to B.O. Naturally. It's a great testimonial to the effectiveness of Essential Oils. I added the Sandalwood after reading her article.

I almost forgot the most important part about this deodorant. We all know that breast cancer is raging in our society. Most commercial deodorants contain cancer causing ingredients which are very, very bad. We as women don't need to be smearing these thing all over our glands under there! Frankincense is an anti-cancer agent, which is what we need to be smearing all over those glands under there!


Not to mention that it smells divine!


I strongly urge you to invest in these oils if you don't have them and do this for yourself. There are substitutes you can use, you can use Lemon instead of Melaleuca, put another scent in there you like, etc. but DON'T leave out the Frankincense. To me, it's the most important one in the mix.

patti

No comments:

Post a Comment