Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sweet Summertime Diffuser Blends

It's Summertime in Texas and I understand it is everywhere else too....except Australia and the South Pole anyway. Most people long for those lazy, hazy crazy days of Summer and I admit, they do have their moments. Kids are running free, lakes and beaches are full of boaters, skiers, and swimmers. Backyard BBQs are filling the neighborhood with delicious smells, gardens are providing all sorts of healthy things for us...it's a wondrous time of year really.




I find myself not using my diffusers on these long Summer days like I did during Winter and Spring. I'm not sure why, maybe because there isn't as much sickness going around. My diffusers got a big workout during cold and flu season this year and incidentally, they did a great job keeping those nasty bugs away.




I've also found myself being a bit lazy these days, not wanting to do anything much. I'm not a "hot weather lover." I tend to hibernate more in Summer than I do in Winter. Summertime might mean more time to play, but to me it means 100+ days of oppressive humid heat....uggghhhh.



Sooooooooooo...Patti's Place needs a good perking up this morning. I've got work to do and it's not going away.....and what better way than to get those diffusers going with some great combinations of Spark Naturals PharmaGrade Essential Oils.

One word comes to mind here....

MINT


Then two words come to mind....Peppermint and Spearmint....and then another...Wintergreen. These are all great cooling oils that also have the ability to wake you up and get you going.

Great starting oils for a Summertime Perk Me Up Diffuser Blend


Rather than list a lot of recipes for a Perk Me Up Blend, I'm just going to give you the basics and let you do your thing.

Take you some mint oil, either Peppermint, Spearmint, Wintergreen or a combination of the three and add you some citrus, any you have on hand, any combination, just find what works for you.

For example....for a

Perk Me Up Blend


Try

4 drops Peppermint/Spearmint/Wintergreen or combination
3 drops Citrus Oil of your choice
1 drop Rosemary

Here's a list of Citrus oils you might try

Lemon
Lime
Grapefruit
Bergamot
Wild Orange
Lemongrass






Let's look at the other side of the coin here....

Maybe you don't need perking up, maybe you need slowing down. Even if you don't I just bet those kids home for the summer may need a little restful stuff diffusing in the house before the day is over.



Restful Blend


I recommend blending a recipe of this and keeping in a small bottle labeled "Restful Blend" so you don't have to open several bottles when you're needing this. This is also a wonderful blend to diffuse in a bedroom at night to help with sleep.

10 drops Lavender
10 drops Ylang Ylang
10 drops Bergamot
10 drops Vetiver
10 drops Marjoram
10 drops Roman Chamomile

Use 5-10 drops in diffuser. If you don't have all these oils, just use what you have, you'll still get great results, I promise!


I was raised in the Piney Woods of East Texas and spent the most part of my childhood roaming those woods. I still love a walk in the woods, it's just a peaceful place for me. However, it's not always possible and for many of you it's never possible. I have found several oils that have the ability to transport me(beam me up, Scotty!) to a woodsy place in my senses and I love the smells.



A Walk in the Woods Blend

2-4 drops White Fir and/or Frankincense
3 drops Cypress
2 drops Vetiver



Can you imagine the sheer loveliness of being able to stroll past this every day and just breathe in the fragrance? Most of us don't get that opportunity, but you can bring a bit of it into your home with this simple flowery blend.

Flowers at Epcot Center, Disney World


Go Smell the Flowers Blend


2 drops Geranium
2 drops Black Pepper(combined with Geranium, you get a carnation smell)
2 drops Lavender



Got canning, cooking, etc that has to be done....try this to get you "in the mood."




Cookin' in the Kitchen Blend

2 drops Marjoram
2 drops Lime
2 drops Ginger


And, just because I like it... one of my favorite diffusing blends, and for no other reason than I like the smell of Lemongrass Sage, is

Lemongrass Sage Blend


4 drops Clary Sage
4 drops Lemongrass


Happy Diffusing!


patti





No comments:

Post a Comment