Tuesday, July 15, 2014

How to Make an Entertainment Center From a Desk

I’m not a big fan of those large entertainment centers.

I also don’t like to see a lot of electronics everywhere.

I like a simple country look, my home is on the small size and large pieces of furniture seem to overwhelm the living space. I was looking for something that matched, but I couldn't seem to find what I wanted.

I had a tiny little brainstorm one day.

Why not just make your own from something that you already have?

I had to enlist the help of my husband for this project.

 In fact, my grandmother’s favorite saying fits this situation rather well here. “We killed a bear and Pa shot him.” Pa shot this bear all by himself with me watching.



I had a small desk that I had bought at Hobby Lobby. In case you didn't know, you can find some great furniture there that’s made from real wood, at great prices.

Step one was to remove the front panel from the drawer.
 I forgot to take a picture at this point, but you get the idea.


One day, I'm going to paint the inside of the drawer, but you really don't notice it until you take a close up picture.

The next step was to cut an opening in the back of the drawer for the cords to go through. Again, I forgot to take a picture before we actually put it altogether, so this is a bit after the fact.




I hated to see the front part of the drawer be discarded, so I had another tiny brainstorm.



 I went back to Hobby Lobby and found some wooden drawer pulls that matched the pull already on the drawer front. I also bought some paint that matched.


 I painted the pulls.



 and we(Pa) attached them to the drawer front. This is why Pa does these projects. He actually uses a tape measure so they'll be even. 



Next step, drilling holes for the screws to hold the pulls on(if you don't have any on hand, you can find them at your local hardware store, or perhaps Hobby Lobby.)


Next, he put the screws in from the back side, one at a time.


Here's another reason he does these projects. He thought to put wood glue in the pulls before placing on the screws. (Smart man, I think I'll keep him around for things such as this.)




Attach the pulls to the screws.



Finishing up the last one.


All done!


 We(Pa) effectively created a cute little hanging station(which still hasn't found its way to the wall.) It’s currently being used to camouflage the VCR/DVD player. You'll need to attach some sort of hangers on the back. We haven't done that part yet, it's happy where it is for now.



I used the paint to touch up the raw edges of the drawer, but haven't done the inside of the drawer yet.




Blessings from Patti’s Place to your place. 




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete