Monday, October 7, 2013

Strawberry Chia Seed Jam

This is my favorite jam these days. It's easy, it's healthy and it's yummy!


Three ingredients and a blender or food processor are all you need. 

We all know that processed sugar is bad for us, but quite frankly, I didn't know how I was going to live without some sort of jam or jelly. So I'm very excited and very satisfied with this little recipe.

What you need:

  1. One pound(a very full two cups or so) fresh strawberries(can use blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
  2. 2-3 tablespoons chia seeds(I use 3 because I like my jam to be firmer)
  3. 1 tablespoon honey(optional)
  4. A blender or food processor
Just an idea for those who don't have either a food processor or blender....I'm pretty sure you could make this by mashing the berries thoroughly.


Lovely fresh berries!


Wash and trim your one pound of berries. This will be two cups of berries, plus about 1/2 cup more. The small package of berries you buy is one pound, the large is two pounds. If you buy the large, just use half the berries. Unless you eat a lot of this, you don't want to make a lot of this up at one time, it has to be refrigerated and won't last indefinitely. 


In the blender.

In the blender or food processor, add your berries, chia seeds and honey. Blend briefly. I like to leave the berries a little chunky. Most recipes call for 2 tablespoons of chia seeds, I use 3 because I like mine a little firmer. You can try it with 2 and then add more later if it's too thin.

Y'all do know I had to do a blog that had a picture of my new Vitamix blender, don't you? I can't believe I actually took the leap and bought one.  It's not quite as bad as buying a vehicle, but an investment, that's for sure! I do believe I shall make it pay for itself quickly though! Love this thing!


Meanwhile, back to the jam.

Well, actually we're finished with the jam. That's all you do. Just blend and then pour up into a pint jar. Let set for a few hours so the Chia seeds will thicken the berries.

Enjoy! Believe me, you will!



The finished jam



No comments:

Post a Comment