Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Quick & Easy Potato Soup



I've never been an advocate of instant anything...potatoes, rice, coffee, etc. However, I have decided I love the Idahoan brand instant potatoes, the ones that come in the little packages where you add two cups of boiling water and they're done.  You know...the ones the kids love so much. They are really very good and they come in several different types, butter and herb, garlic and herb, loaded baked potato, applewood bacon, and a few more. They make a delicious and quick side dish for a rapidly thrown together meal.


So....using this little packaged wonder of a side dish,  I've figured out how to make the quickest pot of really good potato soup you ever saw...it's a no brainer really!

Before you throw a potato at me, let me say....I'm know they're not as healthy as those we grow ourselves, but unfortunately we don't always have those.


Patti's Super Duper Quick Potato Soup


(I just made that up, it's really just plain old Potato Soup)

Ingredients:
1.) one package Idahoan instant potatoes(flavor of your choice).
2.) about 3 cups boiling water
3.) milk(whole or evaporated)
4.) butter(optional)
5.) seasonings(optional)

In a medium pot, put the package of potatoes.(I like to use the loaded baked potato one).
Bring about 4 cups or more of water to a boil in your kettle.
Now, if you were making the potatoes according to package directions, you would add 2 cups of water, but since we're making soup, you want to add about 3 cups and then add milk until it's as thin or as thick as you like your potato soup. You can use whole milk or evaporated milk, whichever you prefer and add butter and seasonings however you like. This makes enough for two, but it's pretty easy to double. Really, all you're doing is thinning down the potatoes until they're soup. How hard can that be, huh? 

Add any garnish you want, such as bacon, cheese, chives, onions, etc. 

Make it your own!


That's all there is to it! I know, I know...it's not your grandmother's old timey cooked from scratch potato soup, but if you don't have any potatoes or you're in a hurry, it's really good. 

Actually, it's better than you think, I bet!



patti

No comments:

Post a Comment